Thursday, January 29, 2015

But, for real...

I don't know about you guys, but I am really tired of this whole "Disney is giving us unrealistic expectations for my body and love life" and "Barbie sets an unrealistic body image for young girls" stuff. Guys...it's not real. Barbie also has underwear printed directly on her body and no one gets upset about the unrealistic expectations she sets for having to do laundry. I think we should be more concerned about how we apparently aren't teaching our children to distinguish between reality and fantasy. No one is upset that Tim Burton's characters all have super pointy cheek bones and really sharp angles. Talk about unrealistic...
Joking aside I think that, instead of getting up in arms about how these dolls and cartoons are teaching our impressionable children the wrong things, we should be maintaining an open dialogue with them about their bodies. Just because they've made the princesses skinny doesn't mean that's what we're supposed to think she has the "ideal" body. It's just how the animator imagined her. And, seriously, all the Disney princes are super ripped and way more charming than humanly possible, but you don't see guys getting upset about their unrealistic body image.
Even if the princesses start having more realistic bodies, hair, and skin
that won't change the fact that it's what's on the inside that really makes a person beautiful. I've known so many beautiful women and handsome men who became ugly in my mind as I've gotten to know their personality and very plain people who became incredibly gorgeous the more I got to know their hearts. The cover of the book may make you want to pick it up, but it's not what makes you keep reading.

1 comment: