Saturday, January 31, 2015

Uncommon Courtesy

What happened to common courtesy?
I work in the food service/retail industry and it's always so surprising to me how entitled and rude people can. If the line is a little too long, I need them to repeat something more than once, or there is even a touch of foam on their no foam latte people go through the roof. They are rude and insensitive to the people who are still learning and treat them like their stupid. There is a lot to learn working in this industry and it's hard to keep up at first. But why is that a legitimate reason to talk down to someone and treat them like they aren't your peer?
Also, between the last two stores in which I have worked, I have become very familiar with no-call-no-shows. What is that? Or quitting with no notice. I just don't understand. It makes sure you won't get a favorable referral from your manager, hurts people who have come to be your friend, and makes you non-rehirable with the company on which you bailed.
There are nice, respectful customers, too. They are the ones for which I stay in this industry. The ones who become your friends, who ask about your life and are actually interested, and who don't care that the drink they wanted iced was accidentally made hot. If there were more people like them in a the world, it would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment